Upon completion on Dec. 18th, 1909 of the Knoxville, Sevierville and Eastern Railroad, the station in our community was called Seymour in honor of Charles Seymour, who, as chief engineer, had helped construct the first railroad in Sevier County.  Shortly after this, the name of Trundles Cross Roads Post Office was changed to Seymour, the former having originated from the Trundle family who were early residents of this section.

Since Seymour is in the rural district, the population covers the area traversed by the Free Delivery Mail routes, serving a patronage of 2427 inhabitants.

During the construction of the railroad, a civil engineer set up an altimeter in a building near the post office, at which time the instrument registered exactly 1000 ft. altitude.

Seymour, in the foot hills of the Great Smoky Mountains, is located in Sevier County on the Tennessee-North Carolina Railroad (formerly the Knoxville, Sevierville and Eastern Ry.)  and what is known as the old Sevierville-Knoxville Highway.  It is fourteen miles East of Knoxville, and of about equal distance from Maryville and Sevierville, the later town being the County seat of Sevier County.

Every one knows how quickly the traveling public abandoned the railroad as a mean of transportation when the buses sprang into existence, and Seymour inhabitants followed the trend of the times by using Smoky Mountain Transit buses; the railroad now being used exclusively in the transportation of freight between Knoxville and Sevierville.  Our nearest airport is located in Knoxville, not a great distance when good roads are considered.

About five miles from the Seymour Post Office, at the Junction of what is knows as the old Sevierville Highway and the new Smoky Mountain Memorial Highway, can be found some very nice, comfortably equipped tourist cabins under the management of Mr. O. E. Burnett, whose rates are very reasonable.  A general mercantile store and filling station are conveniently located where one may purchase food and gas.

The climate is typical of the mountainous section of East Tennessee, varying from one extreme to the other during the seasons ? the temperature ranging from zero to one hundred degrees.  An abundance of cold, pure water, combined with fresh air from the nearby Bluff Mountains, makes it a very healthful section.

John Sharp of Rockbridge County, Virginia, was one of the first settlers to take over the land formerly inhabited by the Indians in the vicinity of Seymour, he having been a scout and Indian fighter under John Sevier.  The post office at Seymour is located on a portion of that land.  The exact date of

His coming into this section is not known, however a grant in the possession of his descendents, is shown as being registered by the State of Tennessee on Feb. 11th, 1808, in the thirty third year of American Independence, and carries the signature of John Sevier, Governor, the transaction being executed at the State Capitol, Knoxville, Tennessee.

Large tracts of land were possibly in the hands of a few owners in this locality, and investigating, we find that the Trundle and Burns families were among the early settlers also, but we are unable to locate definite dates.  A sketch, in an old family Bile, says the Burns families are descendants of Robert Burns, the poet. 

It is an interesting legend that Boyd's Creek running through this valley, was named for a Mr. Boyd, who was killed by the Indians and thrown into the stream, identification having been made when a watch, inscribed with his name, was found in his clothing.  It is the unwritten code of tradition that many skirmishes with the Red Skins took place in this immediate locality.

Within three miles of our post office is a monument, erected by the Tennessee Society Sons of the Revolution, marking the definite location of the Battle of Boyd?s Creek, this point being determined by the records of John Sevier.  The inscription on the monument as follows:

This shaft marks the site of the Battle of Boyd's Creek. Dec. 16th, 1780 Gen. John Sevier and his command of East Tennessee Pioneers, defeated with heavy loss to the enemy, a large force of Cherokee Indians who had attacked the settlers while he and his soldiers were away engaged in the Kings Mountain Campaign.

Erected by Tennessee Society Sons of the Revolution July 4th, 1927.

Exegi Monumentum Acre Perennius.

The covered wagon and stage coaches, once the modes of transportation, have long since been replaced by the modern motor vehicles. Not more than a quarter of a century ago, the stage coach was still in existence, carrying passengers and the U.S. Mail between Knoxville and Sevierville; the horses being relayed every few miles, and making the distance of twenty eight miles in a very short time.  Our rural school system, the rural free delivery mail service, combined with good roads, and the installation of electric lights in the rural homes, are all vast improvements over old methods. Likewise, the agricultural pursuits have been adjusted to modern procedure of cultivation and marketing.

With the exception of a few negros, descendents of old slavery families, the inhabitants are nearly 100% Anglo-Saxon origin.  The mountainous section of East Tennessee boasts the purest blood of that race, a fact that would be hard to equal in any other part of the country.

Seymour is an agricultural center, and Knoxville, on account of its close proximity, affords the farmers good markets for their products and stock, as well as a splendid shopping district.  The principal crops are corn, tobacco, wheat, melons and truck gardening, while stock raising consists chiefly of cattle, hogs and sheep.  This is a very fertile valley; hence the soil and climate are suitable for raising a variety of crops, and on account of the bountiful supply of water, makes it adaptable for stock raising.

A great many former residents of Seymour have had successful careers in the business and professional world in various sections if the country, but outstanding is John Bogle Cox, for many years affiliated with General Electric Company of Schenectady, N.Y.  In 1900 he went to Paris, France to supervise installation of the first Multiple Unit Car Equipment in Europe, and also installed the Electric Ry. Car Equipment in Lisbon, Portugal, the first equipment of this kind in Portugal.  Later he was General Electric Company representative in the electrification of Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry., Montana, Idaho and Washington, this representing the largest sum for equipment and greatest mileage of mail line electrification the world at that time.  He was the Company representative and engineer for the electrification

of the Mexican Ry., Mexico, and for the outstanding work in this project, he received the Charles A. Coffin award from the General Electric Company.

All social activities in this rural community are centered around the school and church.  And where could be a more ideal place for pleasure and character building than with such environments.

Harrison Chilhowee Acadamy, a state accredited high school, founded by the McCallie Brothers in the year 1881, is the central educational point.

One of the brothers, Prof. John McCallie, was later Superintendent of the Knoxville City Schools; the other brother, Samuel W., became state Geologist in Georgia.  This institution has been the means of promoting cultural and educational advantages not only for Seymour but surrounding counties.  A former student, the late Dr. Carroll Bull of John-Hopkins Hospital, won great recognition during the world war in his discovery of a serum called ?Bacillus Welchii: for the treatment of gangrene.

This region has been richly endowed with natural beauty of hills and dales, crystal clear streams, picturesque cliffs, and beyond, the towering peaks

of old Smoky.  Since the vegetation of both the North and South grow in

these mountains, there is an abundance of wild flowers and shrubs.  These rugged mountains, covered with a matchless forestry, are a paradise for nature lovers.

Misses Mary and Elizabeth Sharp.

 

Comments are closed.